Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2008

What Kara Would Have Saved

     Last January 8, I waited for more than hour near the site of the UP Centennial cauldron just to be able to capture on camera the flames which would symbolize all that UP has been and will be in the years to come. I watched fascinated, delighted, excited as it was lit. I felt some kind of truimph after it glowed, smoldered, and gained life from the torch used to light it!

    Yesterday, fire showed a new and ugly meaning for me. At around 2 AM, after abruptly getting up to check why our doorbell was hysterical, I saw in horror from our bedroon window big, dangerous flames. They were coming from the homes across the street from the house just behind our compound. No moment to lose, I woke up everyone in the house and the apartments behind ours. Trying to be calm and collected, containing the terror I was feeling, I managed to give instructions to everyone on what should be done. I checked on whether Mama was okey and whether her household was ready for evacaution. My only slip was I couldn't quite wake up Neneth nor remember the name of one of the tenants (I just screamed "Sunog, sunog!" hoping that it would wake them up. How absolutely baduy but theatrical, I thought!)

     In between gathering my valuables (of which there were very few, I realized) and praying aloud, I would take quick glimpses of the raging fire. It seemed to be moving nearer us but since it looked like there was still time to spare before we needed to leave the house, I took stock of what each of us had decided were important and should be saved. The laptops were secure (Important work there but more important, we could sell them!) I had my jewelry and important bank documents (Criterion: will help us get back on our feet) and in a flash of inspiration (or sheer stupidity), put the last quiz of my Psych 101 students (Criterion: Irreplaceable) with these valuables. Powie did not think of getting anything as he was fixed at the window watching the fire. So he was assigned as prayer warrior. Now Kara, she had the most items she thought of saving.

     First, she brought down her bag with her schoolwork. Then followed her stacks of newly-bought books. Then Dana, her most-loved Teddy bear alongside a few favorite items. And last of all, stuff needed for her personal hygeine. I managed to chide her for this last load and she retorted "But I need these!" And it was not my place to disagree.

     After what seemed like an eternity, the fire was put out. Tito gave the signal that we could now relax. But it was time to check if the people we knew who resided in that area were alright. We saw some of our catechism kids barefoot, with nothing but the clothes on their backs. Some managed to bring out only a few things but from what they told me, it really didn't matter as long as they were still alive.

      Safe in bed much later, sleep was elusive for a while. Thoughts turned to what might have been or what else could have been done.And it dawned upon me how in times of danger and in matters of life and death, decisions will ultimately be based only on what is vital for our survival. Going back to our home and looking at the things I would have saved, I realized my choice of which material things to leave behind were right. After facing imminent loss of property, I saw how unessential many of them really were. They were trappings of luxury. They were embellishments on our lives which we could do without if we had lost them.  Losing our home would have been devastating but as long as we were all safe and unhurt, it would have been alright!

    It is with much gladness that I praise the Father for having spared our home from destruction and protected all of us from any injury. At the same time, I pray that He will always remind all of us the lessons we learned from this experience.    

    

     

     

6 comments:

  1. wow. ika nga ng kaibigan kong si chito, we need the darkness so that we can see the light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A prayer of thanks for keeping all of you safe.
    During the earthquake of the late 80s... while I was in the midst of "important" work... and the earthquake hit us, I realized the one important thing for me then was a very young Ivan (who was at home).
    Life has a funny way of jolting us to what's real and what's really important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a japanese proverb says: now that they've burned our roof i can now see the stars. if its any consolation to those who actually lost their homes. but you who have been spared will definitely know how to take life from a richer perspective and even hasten to help those who now need stars to build anew from the ashes. may the Lord always spare you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind prayer, Fr. J!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ma'am, ngayon ko lang ito nabasa. i love this post!

    ReplyDelete