Pages

Friday, March 26, 2010

Pogi!

Every time I decide to get a haircut, it seems to get shorter than the last time before. When I got this one, it was because I wanted a new look that would be fuss-free. I had gotten tired of my hair which had grown out without thought to my lack of time for careful grooming. (And to think that was only a couple of months ago!)

In my lifeline, I am at the point that I am learning to discard things which have been getting in the way of making things simpler for me. There is so, so much to do that I have only enough time to do what is more important. So between primping a less-than cooperative hairstyle and catching up on sleep or my reading, I will definitely choose the latter. I have gone beyond using my hair as a way to glorify my femininity. Because after 5 decades, people most certainly know my gender and the state of my sexuality even without the usual embellishments!

But I also realize that the length of my hair has been always a symbol of my need for asserting my independence. As a child, I was "forced" to have short hair. The female adults in my family reasoned that because I was grossly underweight, long hair would leech the nutrients from my already emaciated frame. (Okay, I exaggerate!) Every trip to the beauty parlor (as it was called then) to have a haircut or have my straight hair curled  was always a reminder of how powerless I was. When I reached adolescence, no force in the universe could coerce me to give in to my mother's and aunt's demands for the pixie or page-boy hair-dos. I let my hair grow long with a vengeance! By the time I graduated from high school, I think I must have had waist-length hair. What joy!

In the ensuing years, I had complete control of the length and style of my hair. No more pleasing my mother who wanted it short. No more pleasing my father who wanted it long. But for most part of my adult years, I kept pretty much to a length that I could tie up into a ponytail. Shoulder-length was the bravest I could go.

I also hated my straight and limp hair. So a yearly ritual was perming its ends so that my lifeless hair would have some "body". I think that it was only in my late 30s that  I decided that enough is enough. No more perming and shorter than shoulder-length hair was permissible. Not only had I embaced that straight hair was okay but I also discovered a side of me that I never knew existed. Both required courage to accept and this realization marked the beginning of a life-changing journey.

Many times over the years, every time there is an emotional upheaval in my life, I have cut my hair short. Maybe to punish myself in the biblical sense ( as in wearing sackcloth and putting ash on my face. Ang layo yata!) or better, to spite those who prefer to have my hair a certain length. Maybe cutting is more radical and definite compared to just washing out people or problems out of my hair? Maybe also to make me feel and look better after dealing with a devastating event? I don't know!
 
So I have come full circle to where I was in my early years. The length of my hair is no longer a symbol of subjugation that it was but is now an assertion of my individuality and my independence of spirit. I will not promise to stop using it also to define my quarrels with the world. But for now, even if I look pogi I feel beautiful and chic as well. And that, at this very moment, is all that matters!

14 comments:

  1. Is this your new do, Ma'am? =p Alam niyo, while reading this, naging emotional ako na ewan. I think dahil nakaka-relate ako somehow. Or maybe it's that time of the month-- yung work-related, not exactly hormonal. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just my freshly shampooed month-old haircut, Ton. Oo nga, baka it's-that-time-of the-semester blues ito. If it gets any worse, sabay tayo magpakalbo, ha? Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I say....I agree with your dad. I wonder what your hubby said. Anyway, whatever makes you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ay Jun, why am I not surprised that you would say THAT? Most of the male people in my lfe like long hair on me. Or maybe they like it on every woman? My husband doesn't really tell me what he prefers. He usually just says it's great no matter what I do with my hair. Of course, he probably just wants to keep the peace in our household. Hehehe! This time, though, he called me "pogi". What do you think that means? Gusto nya o ayaw nya?

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for this. you always verbalize the things i keep hidden in my heart (remember your poignant blog on being unpretty?). very much like you, i used to have hair "issues" (although in a slightly different way). but i guess the premise is the same, the desire to gain the approval of the people around us. my hair was never "ok". too curly, too thick, too wild, . unruly, unkempt, unattractive. i got tired of making it the way they want it. now, i let it be. wild, big, free, proud. :-) thank you for sharing this ma'am. and i think you're beautiful and chic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Palagay ko, Chei, it has something (or everything) to do with age. We are no longer that afraid to share our innermost feelings because there are just too many that if we don't unload them, we would burst. We need to free space to store new memories and brew sentiments! Thanks also for letting me know that I'm not the only one in the "slightly damaged goods" section of this world! Let's celebrate our beauty using our standards, and nobody else's! Pero excuse mo, sino kaya yung diyosang nasama sa "Hottest and Coolest Professors in UP" sa FB?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chei, thanks for reminding me about that blog post. I had forgotten about it and searched for the piece and I found it in my other blog. I thought it would be nice to post it here too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey jang..alam mo pareho tayo short hair was likewise forced on me when i was a child. I used to cry every time i had my hair cut coz it would be super short. That's how my mom and my eldest sister wanted it. Parang boy! That time pa naman long hair was "in". Konti lang talaga ang may short hair in school. Feeling ko ako lang. Ikaw din pala? It was only in hs when (notice our year 3 pic) i had my hair below my ears. Girly na. :-) But now i love short hair! Wash and wear lang. Sometimes pag may lakad, pwede din konting blow dry. How convenient! Cheaper pa even for hair color. Hehehe... Welcome to the club!! Am sure bagay sa iyo ang new hairdo mo. Maganda ka pa rin!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bunny posted a comment in FB about this blog. She also suffered like us but with her, the adults forced her to have long hair. Hahaha! Naku Belen, I just hope we didn't do the same thing to our kids when they were growing up. I'd hate to read something written by my daughter about my actually assuming the role of the hair tormentor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hehe. hi maam jang! i had the same experience too. when i was in gradeschool my sister and mom would force me to have a very short hair - apple cut pa tawag noon. my classmates would tease me then, 3x4 daw yung hair ko (yung required haircut sa boys). it was so not a good experience whenever they had my hair cut short, tawag din sakin noon "pogi" or "boy". Just had my long hair in HS years. tapos ngayon, pag nagpapagupit ako, sasabihan ako ng nanay ko, magpahaba ka na lang ng buhok. hehe. labo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You just said that guys generally want long hair on women. You also said that your husband probably wants to keep peace in the house. Looks like your husband should be in politics or be a diplomat. Paano iyan kung mas pogi ka sa partner mo? Well, it doesn't matter. As long as both of you understood each other and everything is just fine.
    My ex used to ask my opinion whenever she had a new hair do. I hated that question as we always end up in a fight. She won't believe me whether my comment is good or bad. In other words she doesn't trust me.
    I think it's better not to ask the question directly especially when you are afraid to get a negative response. Bring it up in one of your regular conversations and when everyone is present and you'll probably get an honest response.
    I think he'll go with the majority of men. Had I called my ex "pogi", I'll probably be dead by now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Labo nga! Hehehe! Kaya nga ako ngayon, pag may gusto akong sabihin tungkol sa buhok ng mga anak ko, kinakagat ko na lang ang dila ko! Hinahayaan ko sila sa haba at ayos na gusto nila.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha! I'm glad you have strong survival instincts! Baka meron din nyan ang asawa ko!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha! I'm glad you have strong survival instincts! Baka meron din nyan ang asawa ko!

    ReplyDelete