Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Why I Love-Hate my Neigborhood

 

       I was antique shopping in a market. I had espied an aqua paint-covered baul in the            middle of a stack of stuff on an upper shelf. The paint looked like it was splashed              on the baul. I asked the merchant to bring down. But first, he brought down what                looked like a box covered with hammered-out tin with a design intended for children. I        found it interesting but was anticipating the baul when ..... deafening music woke me          up! Grrrr!

Like the shifting of scenes in a movie, loud pop music intruded into my consciousness. Music from the loudspeakers of the high school in front of my house interrupted my beautiful dream... Hay, now I'll never know if I was able to buy an expensive antique item which I am cannot afford do in real life! 

I live in a street just off a busy main road but our street is almost always free of vehicular traffic. No engine sounds or horn blasts mar the silence. The sounds would normally come from children playing or calls from the magtataho or sorbetero, and other ambulant vendors plying their trade. Most schooldays, I am awakened either by a young voice singing over the sound system the national anthem or the strong, stern voice of the pricipal admonishing her students to do well what it is high school students are expected to do. In years past, the sound of the machines in the vocational school would punctuate the relative peace and quiet of the neighborhood.  


Drainage.., trees sidewalk, DPWH

No comments:

Post a Comment