Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Ego, ignored


I read an entry in one blog which said that the Ego holds one back from expressing his creativity. That is probably true for me. I want to create art but I am always so afraid it will not pass the aesthetic standards of people . Well, most especially because I happen to have a sibling who is an artist! Like most things that I do and say, I am afraid I will be judged negatively. So, I always keep to the safe side of the road. Seldom venturing into the exciting but dangerous beyond-the-limit land. The ego, personified!

But I have come to a point in my life that reacquainting myself with my Id seems like a good idea. No longer afraid of being ridiculed or criticized. No longer hostage to my high Agreeableness score in the Big 5 (After all, I also have a high Openness score!). No longer caring if my work pales in comparison to L's.

And so the attempt to capture the flowers in Sonya's garden. And so the (so unlike me) vibrant colors. And so I unveil my art!

"The Ego produces Resistance and attacks the awakening artist." (Steven Pressfield The War of Art)

2 comments:

  1. after graduating, erika, thaddy and i drove to washington dc to visit pacita abad. i asked her what her advice is for us and she said, "dont be afraid".
    that holds true for me to this day. let me remind you also, that you are my idol and i still believe you can paint better than me : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement (and blind faith in me), sis!

    ReplyDelete