Pages

Friday, January 2, 2009

The Painting & The Poem

ON SEEING HIM AGAIN


My pain dwells behind
A screen of lace
Wrought by fingers
In restless wait.

Gossamer strands of sighs
Intertwining, embracing
Coarse twines of guilt
Unraveling in my mind.

As if through a tulled veil
Made taut by tears
Forbidden to fall
This heart looks from afar.

To behold, to caress
Yet never touch

To memorize your every expression

Despite prying eyes
That keep watch.

My essence wears a silken sheath
Unseen by those who know not
But the light that is you
Lays bare the weakest in me.

My soul awakens only in my dreams
Where reality is surrendered
And the scent of your being
Vividly remembered.

My sanity is in tattered disguise
Pleading to break free
Should I don mourning black
To clothe the rest of me?


The painting, "The Black Bride", is by Welbart, one of my Multiply Contacts. I grabbed this image from "In His Place..." album in his site. I've yet to meet him or see his works except through the web. But from what you'll see in http://welbartstudio.multiply.com you will surely agree with me that he is a noteworthy & fantastic artist.

The poem is mine, from so long ago, & has been published in virtualwriter.net. The words and the painting just seemed to belong together.

3 comments:

  1. yes, they blend very well. next time i would like to hear you explain the poem again. medyo low iq ako sa poems.

    how are you? i was out of town dec28-jan4.

    hope 2009 will be good to us in spite of the global financial crisis.

    take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm well, thanks! Reluctantly pulling myself away from post-holiday lethargy, I can hardly do anything worthwhile except post poetry and art in this blog. The rainy and sleep-inducing weather is not helping, of course. At the risk of sounding apathetic to the sad state of world economy, my serious concern at the moment is finishing a research report which upon completion will boost my equally sad financial state. Yes, let's hope 2009 will be good to us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grabe Ma'am, yung tsismoso side of me is longing to ask, how long ago was this? Pero since it's really none of my business, ito na lang sasabihin ko: oddly enough, parang may strength pala talaga in numbers. It really helps to know that other people are undergoing (have undergone?) what I'm going through. Tsaka yung tula Ma'am, kuhang-kuha ang sakit na dulot ng "wounds&scars." Boo pain. Kaya dinadaan ko na lang sa joke. Ay, ang ang haba na nito...

    ReplyDelete